Still opportunities to Register!
The Partridge House is almost full but you can still join the retreat with two spaces left in the house. Plus if you are interested in lodging in a separate space and participating in all retreat activities, a new option has been created.
$575 for just the retreat activities
I am happy to help guide you to available lodging places. Shining Sails has availability during the time of the retreat, their phone number is 207-596-0041
Wednesday May 16-Sunday May 20, 2018
Monhegan is a creative place, inspiring numerous artists since the mid-19th century. Some who found inspiration on the island were George Bellows, Edward Hopper, Rockwell Kent, and the Wyeth Family.
Come experience this magical island; create, eat, and share with other artists.
Your hosts: Tara Hire, a certified Yoga instructor and nutrition counselor and KiKA Nigals Artist an Art Educator.
This all-inclusive art and yoga retreat is set on beautiful Monhegan Island. The month of May is quiet, only the birds are migrating through. Winter residents are waking from their long winter hibernation and the light and color of the island is magical. There are endless opportunities to paint plein-aire and beautiful compositions wherever you look.
Artists of all mediums are welcome
poets, musicians, painters, writers, photographers, crafters
all creative people will enjoy this retreat
Artists will be inspired not only by the land- and sea-scapes but also by the artists who live and work on Monhegan Island. The island is home to several year-round and seasonal artists whom work in a variety of mediums, including oil painting, water color painting, wood working, rope work, and paper cutting.
Thursday and Friday the group will visit a different artist, see their work, and hear about how Monhegan inspires them; hands-on demonstrations with some of the artists.
Mornings include yoga and inspiration. Artists have all afternoon to explore and create art at their own pace. Aid will be provided in choosing the perfect spot to paint and in getting materials to hard to reach areas.
Monhegan Wellness offers:
- Tara Hire is a certified Self-Awakening Yoga instructor. Her yoga sessions focus on poses, breath work, and meditation that bring your focus inward, release your inhibitions and allow your full creativity to flow. No experience necessary for this gentle yoga style.
- All meals and snacks: balanced meals to keep your body in harmony so that your focus can be on your art. Tara Hire cooks up nutritious, delicious meals from local in season ingredients. Baby greens, local eggs and dairy, are some of the highlights of the season.
- Continental Breakfast available at your leisure. Sleep late or get up early, you can grab and go, or sit and enjoy the view
- Hot lunch available from 12:00 pm-1:30 pm or arrange for a brown bag lunch to take out
- Dinner served family style at the cottage 6:30 pm. Flavorful, nutritious meals from seasonal, local sources will be served up each night. (dietary restrictions can be honored, please inform us in advance)
- Snacks of fruit, nuts, coffee and tea available throughout the day
The house is on the shore line just north of the dock, between the
Steiner cottage and the twin Jenny cottages. There is a path from the
dock, on the left as you start up the hill. The main house path is a
left from the road between the Island Inn and the Lupine Gallery.
The house has 5 bedrooms and three bathrooms, and sleeps around 12
people. The large living room contains many interesting features,
including window seats, two operating port holes, and a dutch main door.
Over the large granite fireplace is a striking bas relief of Captain
John Smith approaching the Island in 1614.
The two front porches overlook the stretch of water between Manana and
Nigh Duck Rock, with sunsets over the distant mainland. The rocks below
the north porch are often used for swimming.
The house has electricity, gas stove, refrigerator and hot water.
Heaters in the kitchen, living room, and one bedroom, make it relatively
comfortable in the 'off season'.
6:30 am-9:00 am Continental Breakfast
8:00 am Yoga/Meditation
10:00 am Organized Activity/Inspiration (Thursday and Saturday)
Free Time (Friday and Sunday)
12:00 pm to 1:30 pm Lunch
Creative time: explore and create all afternoon
4:30 pm Yoga (days TBD)
6:30 pm Dinner
7:30 pm Group share
Late Night Snack
Level: Everyone is invited; no yoga experience necessary
Cost: All-inclusive $700 when paying by check; $750 if you register and pay here online.
Full refund if space is filled only
- Round-trip ferry ticket and parking for 5 days
- 4 dinners, 5 lunches, 4 breakfasts, and snacks cooked by your personal chef Tara Hire
- 4 yoga sessions
- 3 demonstrations or presentations with local artists
- Art share led by KiKA Nigals
- Massage with Tobey Levine, email today to make your appointment firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thai Bodywork with Tara Hire
Questions: please contact Tara Hire
Registration: please contact Tara Hire at Monhegan Wellness to be added to the Art & Yoga waiting list. Full refund if space is filled only.
Tara Hire, Monhegan Wellness
How to get to Monhegan Island:
Monhegan Boat Line is the only ferry running in May and it runs once per day: 10:30 am Port Clyde departure; 12:30 pm Monhegan departure. This ferry is for people only, no cars. You will park your car (parking included with registration) at the boat line parking lot.
You won't need to bring any supplies for yoga, mats will be provided.
Art supplies are up to you, bring what you need. Lupine Gallery has a limited selection of supplies.