1 cup hulled barley
21/4 cups water
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 bunches arugula
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 carrot, chopped
1/2 bunch scallions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
Juice of 1 or 2 lemons
- Place barley, water and salt in a pot.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 45 minutes.
- Wash arugula and chop into small pieces.
- Place sunflower seeds on a cookie sheet and toast for 5 minutes in a 350-degree oven, being careful not to burn them.
- When the barley is cooked, transfer to a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper if desired.