It’s that time of year, the time to escape the cold and travel to warmer climes. If you are planning a get away this winter, there are a few things you may want to think about as your packing your bags. You may want to think about how to eat healthy while away from home.
When traveling you may not have access to your normal foods and routine. With these few tips you can stay on track while still enjoying local cuisine and culture.
- Start your day right:
- Eat a healthy, satisfying breakfast that will keep you full until lunch time
- Avoid pancakes and French toast and other high-calorie, high sugar, low nutrition foods
- Power up with healthy protein and fat to keep you energized and satisfied
- Eat Salad:
- Eating salad more often than not will keep your calories low without sacrificing flavor
- Enjoy local cuisine and flavor just ask for it on a salad instead of on bread, pasta, or rice
- Drink Alcohol in Moderation
- Calories from alcohol can really add up especially if you are partaking in fruity mixed drinks like strawberry daiquiri or Pina Colada
- Choose vodka, rum or tequila with seltzer and a splash of fruit juice or Sangria
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration
- Have fun in the sun!
- Swim, ride bikes, play, build sandcastles; have fun and be active. Don’t think of it as ‘getting in your exercise’ just have a good time doing fun things, the side benefit is that you are burning calories too.
- Splurge mindfully:
- You are on vacation after all, time to relax and enjoy life
- When splurging choose mindfully, when traveling in Italy you would be remiss to not partake it the gelato, in France the crepes are splurge worthy; wherever you travel to there will be a dish you shouldn’t miss, don’t waste your calories on anything but the most splurge worthy foods
Vacation is a time to unwind, relax and let go; when done mindfully you can enjoy your vacation without putting on extra pounds or feeling as if you have taken two steps back from your healthy lifestyle goals.
Your vacation and your health goals are unique, contact me for a customized meal and health plan for your next vacation. By taking into account your specific needs, vacation location, and cuisine, I will create a plan that will allow you to enjoy vacation and good food without losing site of your health goals.