The secret to these sweet treats are the micro chocolate chips. I found them online HERE. But if you just can’t wait to make these delectable sweets, chop up semi-sweet chips in the food processor or with a knife.
- 2 cups finely shredded coconut, not sweetened
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup micro chocolate chips like Guittard
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 extra large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄4teaspoon course sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine the coconut, condensed milk, micro chocolate chips and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Whip the egg whites and salt on high speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until they make medium-firm peaks.
- Carefully fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture. The mixture should be fairly dry. Add more coconut if it is runny.
- Drop the batter onto sheet pans lined with parchment paper using either a 1 3/4-inch diameter ice cream scoop, or 2 teaspoons, smaller 1 inch cookies are nice too, pop in your mouth size.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. If making the smaller size keep an eye on them after 15 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks.